how do i fix my carburetor on my 80 cj5 jeep

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 12:00 PM about the 1980 Jeep CJ5

when I go to gas on it, it cuts out and back fires through the carburetor and don't want to go but if I ease on the gas pedel then it will go until I get to fourth gear then it pulls against it and wont go at all

16,775

ignited gas fumes coming up out the carb would indicate a problem from an intake valve being sticking open (cracked,so crusted up with carbon that it can't fully close),timing (simply a vac, at the distributor to actually needing a timing adj,) ie: there ain't no flame source inside the carb,fire in the hole is escaping.