Gas Gauge problem

30

Asked by Sep 02, 2013 at 12:48 PM about the 1978 Jeep CJ5

I have replaced my gas guage three times, I have found gas inside the plastic float. This can't be normal. I even had a brand new tank put in.

well, shucky-darn----pull it back out and replace the float with one that you know will not sink in gasoline ~ a newer model....check Dorman products...will have a replacement NON-dunker~ will do the legwork to put an identifier on the specific URL...If I got time...need more coffeeeee~

http://www.partsgeek.com/parts/fuel_level_sending_unit.html

they want to sell your the whole schmeer~ certainly you could fill it with nitrogen and seal it off with RTV...in effect "repair it"~

carpenter's expansion foam? something light...was thinking WOOD, but you don't want any wood particles in your fuel stream~

90,985

The Judge is right, this trash they are telling us is fuel will eat up plastics and rubber that has not be treated to withstand ethanol fuel. I like to add some StaBil Marine to older cars with carbs. If you can get ethanol free fuel in your area run that even though it is more expensive it can save your carb, fuel pump and hoses.

Best Answer

nope. $41.45 is what you are going to pay...other solutions would not be good for the gasoline tank~ why, lord why would they make it hollow? dopes~

okay 41.48 plus shipping~

30

Well here I go again. Hope it's the last time....thanks so much guys...

30

I looked at the sending unit you directed me to. That is the same one I bought. It's that plastic float that keeps getting gas in. Not sure why, but it appears to spring a leak every year. It must be the gas....

wow....seems inconceivable that they'd sell you something that they know is going to fail....if you could stake them to a warranty, you could bring the suffocated one in and say "why lookie here"~

30

Does it sound like it could be the gas? It just don't make sense...

90,985

They could be selling you something called "New Old Stock" that means that the part is in new condition but of outdated material. I was selling parts when this garbage was introduced and the part suppliers we had came in and removed all of the products that were not ethanol resistant and replaced it with the new stuff but some things slipped by like needles in some carb kits. So yes it is the fuel.

I've heard of seals blowin' out on account of bio-diesel, and a whole new line of elastomers resistant to bio-diesel are needed, but aside from Chevron with Techron (what the hell is techron anyways)....a selling point...cannot harm your car? can it? Shell has V+1 whatever that means~ a chemical that attacks gasoline floats....kinda hard to believe....should take it back to the vendor...a product failure analysis is needed...your parts supplier should be keen on this~