Old jeep won't start

Asked by Oct 21, 2016 at 11:54 PM about the 1975 Jeep CJ5

My 1975 cj5 jeep won't start.  It will turnover but
won't start even if I put a little fuel in the carburetor.  

52,365

Check for spark. A tune up may be in order but check the cap and rotor first. Check the timing next if you have spark and it still won't start.

20

Test for spark, at the spark plug. Visually check the cap and rotor, test the coil. I feel the coil is bad. You can check the coil for omhs resistance. Primary and secondary.

63,185

If you find you have spark and fuel, run a compression test. If all cylinders test low or zero, it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

270

Is it firing ? .on a 75 should be easy to diagnose . Fuel fire and air . . Start at coil wire pull.from cap spin over engine if it's firing then it's either a.bad. coil wire ,rotor or bad cap .if it's not firing could be a coil , ballast resistor , or bad distributor or ignition wires . Mice like to eat them .lol Good luck