Would a failed dimmer switch account for both headlamps not working?

Asked by Nov 02, 2013 at 08:42 PM about the 1968 Jeep CJ5

Headlamps were operational. Began operating intermittently, on, off, back on, etc. Then failed completely. Tail lamps, flashers and markers all work. Replaced the in-dash switch, to no avail. Tested continuity at the lamp sockets, there's current. I'm wondering if the old and crusty dimmer switch in the floor has failed, and if so, would that account for the headlamps not operating?

65,935

Check for a bad ground first. If you hear the dimmer switch "click" when you press it the switch is probably good. But check for a bad connection there as well. HTH. -Jim

I have a 79 cj5 and last month my headlights started intermittently flickering for a week and then went off completely. In the following weeks as I was trying to figure it out the side markers started doing the same thing also. I found if i jiggled the switch or touched the wires it came back on immediately so I figured wiring problem but when I went to take a look the wiring harness had melted and messed up the switch and as soon as I replaced the switch everything worked perfectly.