Carb...?

Asked by Dec 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM about the 1957 Jeep CJ5

How do I know what head? OHV-4 "57 CJ5 says I need new carb but what one?

I am in Nicargua... www.pbase/rhewitt

to see pics of our little wonder

Ralph

105

I know it has been a while since you asked this question but you can probably find a carb rebuild kit easier than finding a carb. these old carbs are pretty simple and can be rebuilt with a few good tools. Most of the carbs had a metal tag mounted on top of the carb on one screws holding the top to the bottom. the numbers on that tag and the manufacturers name is usally enough to identify the carb. Last one I bought was only about 15 USD, a lot cheaper than a new carb. Try to find a mechanic to actually do the job. There are some special tools involved and without the tools a bad mechanic can do more damage in a couple minutes than a good one can fix in a day. Good Luck