I'm having suspension problems, could anyone help me?

15

Asked by Mar 03, 2011 at 02:57 PM about the 1989 Lincoln Mark VII

I've just finish repairing my car for the 2nd time in about  18 months, and this time I'm having suspension problems.  I'd like to keep the air-ride system.

85

Fixing the air-ride is no walk in the park, but it can be done. Most of the reports I have read from those who have switched out their air-ride for springs and shocks have been negative. I recently bought a '92 Bill Blass and the air bags were shot. Fortunately, the deal I made required the seller to give me any air bags he had left over, so I acquired two front ones. I downloaded a pictorial walk-through, which made the job look like a week at the seashore, and then improvised on it. The pictures were helpful, but It took me about 18 hours of labor (because of the "first time through" thing). I did get the bags replaced and they're working fine. If you would like to send me your email address, I will send you the pictorial info I have, plus I will add notes on where the walk-through is too simplistic and how to overcome the problems you will encounter. Doc - seadog54@cox.net

15

My e-mail is yescajack@yahoo.com. Thank you very much, I really do appreciate this.

90

what type of problems ? air suspension ? describe what specifically what is going on to better answer you. srw1inlb@verizon.net

255

unfortunately you probably have a "O" ring leaking but you must or should take it to a shop that specializes in air-bag diagnostics and repair such as Firestone but you will have to enquire with a manager to see which one of their shops are the best at it and go there even if its out of your town.

255

Oh yeah I have regular coils and shocks which replaced my air-spring-system with a lowering kit and I am very happy with it on my Mark VII and if my air system on my Mark VIII fails again its going to get an Arrnott Coil and shock replacement kit with a lowering kit......I used to have a Bill Blass Mark VII and its suspension gave me fits of grief. So I use and believe you would be miles ahead and save lots of money if you would switch to coils. I would keep the air -suspension if you are restoring a concours car.

90

seadog; your mark looks great !