My car has an issue with the rear suspension, its like riding on a seasaw, ithe back goes up and down randomly, I know i need to replace the suspension, would it be good to compeletly change over

Asked by Apr 23, 2014 at 07:12 PM about the 1987 Lincoln Mark VII

air irde goes up and down, never know when its going to happen, also after the car has been off for hours I am in the house, I can hear the electronics engaging ass if it were going up or down, but nothing is moving

61,205

You won't see the car leveling. The height sensor is very sensitive. My '94 Fleetwood does the same thing. I don't drive it much so I disconnect the negative (-) battery cable whenever I park it so it doesn't kill the battery. HTH. -Jim

35

Mine was doing the same thing, I ended up just converting it to coils and not worrying about the finnicky system anymore. The pump cuts on after the car has been off for 60 minutes in order to try and return the ride height to the default level (as set by the ride height sensors at both front wheels and the middle of the rear axle) with the assumption that adjustments were made as the car was driving. The problem is when you have leaking solenoids or other intermittent issues opening up those solenoids could cause the suspension to leak down. The conversion is relatively easy (if you're mechanically inclined) and only cost about 350 bucks back when I did mine in 2009.

Best Answer
23,135

It's a night-and-day difference changing over to standard Springs and Shocks. The Air Springs in your car aren't that expensive. There is a considerable difference in the quality and characteristics of Coil vs. Air springs but the average driver can't tell the difference. I guess you just need to weigh the cost/benefits of modifying it or keeping it Stock.