Is it possible to add ac and power steering to a pinto 1980?

Asked by Dec 28, 2015 at 01:00 AM about the 1980 Ford Pinto

I'm buying an 1980 pinto and being as old as it is
apparently it has no AC or power steering I don't
know if it has a heater either, isn't here any way to
customize it to have these things if so how?

Forget it.

Seriously, save your $$. This car was garbage back in the 80's and the cost of trying to add that stuff in the car would be more than the value of the car itself. Keep looking for a newer, more reliable ride!

RacerX is right about the cost, your best bet is to find a Mercury Bobcat or Mustang 2 with the Ghia package in a wrecking yard. Otherwise your going to have to go with a hot Rodgers A/C unit and do a custom install, not cheap. Mustang 2 power steering assemblies were the most popular back in the days, you may still be able to pick one up and then custom make mounting brackets for the pump. Go luck in your quest. HTH

It's not worth the money

Oh my, I get to be the shining light for a change- I like the Pintos- heck, I like ANYTHING old- you can add AC to your car, of course- but not power steering- that little thing should be easy enough to steer- if it is not, check that your steering mechanism is functional and well lubricated and that your tires have lots of air in them- that should make the steering easier- and it must have a heater, and that heater should work well- if it doesn't, again, just repair it- you will have a cool car on a budget- it should get comments wherever you drive it- good and bad, as you can see! lol

Best Answer

I love old cars too! And I got the chance to buy the little guy at a really good price and most of it is completely original and in great shape. I'm glad to have someone with the same appreciation for the more unpopular oldies. The heater works and really the power steering was only a comodity. The AC is a must thought sinuous know what parts or how I can get that installed?

I will be checking tires and if the steering wheel mechanism is well lubricated thanks.

There are many aftermarket AC packages- find somebody good who can do it right, and they may be able to find the perfect set-up- it would be "cool" to get the old school under the dash unit- i bet you can find one if you try-

Ha your punny lol. I've looked for the old school AC unit can't seem to find it I shall keep looking though thanks.