is it possible to retool a ford pinto?

355

Asked by Feb 01, 2009 at 03:07 PM about the 1980 Ford Pinto

I wanna know if it's possible to retool or rebuild a ford Pinto so that the gas tank can be put somewhere else? I am
thinking about becoming a mechanic when I am older and I actually wanna rebuild a ford pinto.

an addition to this question is another question. Is the ford Pinto squire wagon safer than the hatchback, or is the
wagon just as dangerous? as crazy as it sounds, I am a fan of the pinto because it is a good looking car. I just
don't like the way ford built it.

thank you for your time and have a good day. DRIVE SAFE

7,515

Fuel tanks can be relocated, the question is, where do you want to put it, is there an aftermarket one available, or can you fab one yourself that is safe.

855

Do some research into it, I remember reading something about Ford actually having a Better, Safer idea at the time, but it wasn't cost effective... Maybe you could re-build the car to the design spec that would have been... You could also look into rubber bladder tanks, like the ones used in some race cars.

355

these rubber bladder tanks don't puncture or make the car a molotov on wheels when you are rear ended?

855

not as easily... I mean, with enough force anything will rupture... you also get the added bonus of no metal tearing to cause heat or spark... it could very likely solve your Naplam in transit issue.

355

cool. well Thank you for the help. drive safe

15

you could just make a bad ass drag car out of it. im in the process of the it too with a 429 big block ford

45

I am an old ford saleman and it should be noted what Wikipeda has to say about the Ford Pinto: The Pinto's legacy was affected by controversy surrounding the safety of its gas tank design, Ford's 1978 recall of the car, and a later study concluding "the Pinto was as safe or safer than other cars" in its class.

355

If it is so safe, then why did it kill or attempt to kill people in the first place?! I've studied cars all of my life and I know That Ford knew the gas tank was fudged but didn't bother to correct it when the car was first released in 1970.

355

what I mean is that I love the car but I think Ford could've done much better when building the car.

only thing you can do is remove the gas tank and put a fuel cell in it,but you need a motor for that,the car looks nice in the pic,just put a nice set of tires and wheels on it,duel the exhoust,put in a good sound system in it and enjoy the ride and gas milage.

45

I did install the nylon tank shield on the Pintos when they came in for the recall. I always felt a little scared of the 67 to 72 ford pickup trucks as the gas tank was right behind the seat in the cab with you. The rubber filling hose connector would sometimes get loose and fill the cab with raw gas fumes. And if you got hit on the drivers side, gas could be splashed right on you.

355

Wow! that is scary and dangerous too! Another thing, is the Ford Pinto Squire safer than the regular Pinto or is the Squire wagon just as dangerous?

45

I have no real facts on this, but I do know the wagon was heaver as it had more sheet metal in the back. I did find the following info: The Pinto was manufactured from 1970 to 1980. The early-model Pinto was made from 1970 through 1973; the later model was made from 1974 through 1980. Although the body appearance is virtually the same, there are many differences between the early- and late-model cars. The early-model is several hundred pounds lighter. The sheetmetal is thinner, and there are much fewer sheetmetal reinforcements than in the later models. And, the car got heavier as the years progressed. Hope this was interesting to you. best regards Hiway

25

You can do almost anything to everything, but what makes it possible is experience & having the right tools. I have seen 2 Vw bugs with a 350s in the front! & I would guess anything bigger, is potentially just a hair safe. Though getting rearended @ any speed sucks, I'd rather be in the wagon, especailly if I got a Semi not far behind me. I know some one selling a little pinto, it's deffinately a project though.

145

The biggest problem with the Pinto fuel tanks was the tank straps themselves. That said, you're probably a lot better off installing a 10 gallon fuel cell.

I have heard the gas tank on wagons is further towards the front. I have had my 78 wagon for 26 years,and it got from behind pretty hard once. I didnt get burned up :). It was hit hard enough to push my car into the car in front of me,drive the core support back,messed up the hood and fenders. In the rear,the bumper,tailgate and one quarter took damage. A shock support dented the floor. But no fire.

5

Here are some facts from an experienced Pinto Squire owner: * The station wagon was never recalled because it has much more metal behind the tank. * Ford issued a recall...to test the car you are purchasing, look for 4 (not 3) screws where you put gas in the car. Also, look for a fiberglass shield in front of the gas tank. This indicates the owner had Ford do the recall. * Remember, subsquent research showed that Pintos (even ones without the recall) were no more prone to gas tank fires than any other cars of the time. That said, any old car will not even be close to the standards of today's cars! Attached is a picture of my lovely 1972 Squire...