How can I fix a Leak in my Power Steering (ECONOMICLY) ???

45

Asked by Apr 24, 2013 at 06:50 PM about the 1988 Plymouth Horizon

I owned this car since 1990. I have a bad Leak in the Power-Steering System. How can I find out exactly where it is Leaking (WITHOUT taking the Resuvoir out) ??? If you have an answer, then you can call me at 256 539-6051 in Huntsville,Alabama.  Thanks, Carl Schwanderlik.

I guess wash the whole thing with soap and water, fire the engine and wait and watch...to find out where exactly~

rockauto.com will sell you just the seals>>http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1238172,parttype,73 60,a,Search%2Bfor%2BJURID

735

you will need a driver in the seat while you look under the hood. look at the power steering pump and its hoses and clamps. have the operator in the vehicle start the motor with the park brake on. once the motor is started, turn the steering wheel slowly all the way to the right or left. when the steering wheel is at the end of its travel, there will usually be a whining or hissing noise; this is usually when the steering pump will give greatest pressure due to the resistance. most likely you will see the leak here. wear eye protection, do not wear loose clothing, keep hands and fingers away from all moving parts.

Best Answer
45

Thanks, I will try it.