1989 Plymouth acclaim bad idle, no power, sucking sound. I have gone over the vacuum system andfixed all the leaks, i believe. New egr and map sensor. When it wil start it makes a suking sound from the throttle body. Iac sucking air??

50

Asked by Nov 23, 2014 at 08:23 AM about the 1989 Plymouth Acclaim

I can get the car to start if i floor it when starting. Very rough idle and makes air
sucking sound around throttle body. Cleaned vacuum lines, replaced map sensor,
replaced egr. Had bad code for map sensor, so replaced. What else can it be?

232,655

Might be a clogged PCV valve.

10,980

possibly a bad intake manifold gasket. you can check for leaks by spraying some carb cleaner around the manifold area while it is running. do this on a cold engine though. if the idle changes or engine revs while spraying, there is your leak. btw, cold engine to reduce the risk of fire. you don';t want to go spraying flammable liquid on a hot engine.

50

PCV was checked and clear. I have tried spraying butane around the whole throttle body, intake area, vacuum lines,and do not notice a change. I will try carb cleaner specifically on the manifold. I still have a feeling though it's something else. It has to be an air/gas ratio issue.

50

OK, I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds and replaced the gaskets. The car STILL won't idle/run. I have now ordered a new Throttle Position Sensor, as I took some readings with a voltmeter and it seems to be faulty. Any other pointers would be appreciated. All hoses have been gone over and look good or replaced.

50

I replaced the Fuel Injector, still waiting for the TPS to arrive, still won't run.

50

OK, to all the supposed 'CAR GURUS' --- why no one suggested makes me question this site. It took the guys on the CORVAIR website exactly about two minutes-- ANYWAY, the problem with my Acclaim not running was all because of a clogged catalytic converter!! No thanks to this site===