What is this hose called and what is it connected to?

50

Asked by Nov 18, 2014 at 08:54 AM about the 1989 Plymouth Acclaim

In the attached diagram they call the hose I am looking for  the AIR HEATER CONNECTOR, what is the REAL name of this hose and what is it connected to- The INTAKE manifold or the Exhaust? The car will barely idle and is making sucking sound. Where this hose is attached is also rotted out, so I need to know what it is called so I may begin a search to replace.  Need hose name and what it is attached to.

58,335

It run,s to the heater control valve,i would think this to be the heater control valve assembly,hose.

58,335

Take a piece of it in to the part,s store with you,and tell them you need ,a foot or two of it,or however much you think you need to replace it,most parts store want know of this ,because it is not in front of them on a computer screen.

50

TST, I did take it to Pep Boys and was told, "we used to carry that, but not anymore, good luck" The usual response from these supposed professional auto part stores.

50

Also, is this connected to the INTAKE Manifold or the Exhaust?

58,335

Is this the flex looking pipe,look,s like a two inch duct work?

58,335

Or is it more like a inch or so?

50

I am actually friends with one of the old guys that works there. He looked at it for me and said he couldn't help me, they don't carry those cloth over metal hoses anymore. So where it connects to the intake manifold is all rusted/rotted away, so I will need a whole new intake manifold as well, I take it?

50

It looks to be about an 1" and 7/8" or so. I don't have it with me.

58,335

And it doe,s go to in take,so it is a vacume hose,just take a piece of it to part,s store,and tell them to match it to a heater hose,put it on it will work just as good.

50

SInce the intake manifold is rotted away, and has holes in it, and this hose was broken, that would make sense as to why the car will barely run now. You can hear it sucking air like crazy and it's undriveable. I guess the search for an intake manifold also begins.

58,335

If it is rotted at the intake ,i agree hose want do you much good,anyway,i concor,replace the intake manifold.

Best Answer
50

I replaced the EGR valve assembly. When I do searches for any kind of hoses, it's always trying to give me some tiny rubber hose. The hose that broke is metal underneath. So the EGR sits on top of the manifold?

50

I can't find anything associated with the EGR valve. I replaced the whole EGR assembly as it was melting.

58,335

vacume diagram

50

That vaccum diagram does not show a connection directly from the Air Filter assembly to the intake manifold. That's what the other diagram shows, and that's what is on the car. The diagram above is for all the small vaccuum hoses.

50

OK, I did my own digging and found out this is not part of the vacuum system. It's called THE PRE HEATER HOSE. and is used to put warm air into the system for start up. I Found it online at NAPA and ordered it. It is aluminum with paper over top.

50

That pre heater hose does go to the exhaust manifold, it doesn't make any sense to take it tothe intake, since it's supposed to help the car on cold starts. The car still won't run/idle and i can hear sucking from somewhere. I have checked aboutevery vacuum hose, replaced the map sensor and still won't run right. If i floor it i can get it to start, but it has no power and is makinga heavy sucking sound

50

OK, NO thanks to CarGurus. I found my own answer. It was a clogged catalytic converter. I smashed out the honeycomb crap and carbon in there and the car runs great