No key with parts car

Asked by Jan 23, 2009 at 05:14 PM about the 1998 Chrysler Concorde

Hi,
I purchased this car from an impound lot to use for parts, but would like to start it up. No keys came with it. . A locksmith told me that I may be out of luck as these cars may have had a transponder key, and if so, he could make a key for the doors and ignition, but the car won't start. What is the best way to get it started?

615

the key may very well come with a transponder key, but i'm not sure if they were being implemented yet in 1998...i had a 97 concorde and i'm pretty sure it was just a reg key you could have cut at walmart if you want....but to help you out..call a dealer and give them your predicament and see if first off you need a transponder key or just a reg one...if all you need is a reg one, the dealer will be able to run the vin# and pull up the key cut sequence and make you a key....if it needs a transponder key, the cheapest way you're going to be able to get one made is to get on ebay and find a new transponder key for probably $10...then you have to take that transponder key to the dealer, and they cut it the same way they would a reg one, but then they have to hook up a programmer to the cars computer and program the key. for a total cost of about 40 bucks.....but if its parts car...why not just bypass the ignition and get it started? but if you bought it for the wiring harness or ignition then i see why you want the key.lol

895

I think that is the best idea if you need the transponder key. Just install a bypass, and make it push button ignition

Thanks for the information...

1,245

not sure if it would work with a transponder key, but if your car doesn't need one you can pull off the stearing wheel, locking mechanism and then the ignition should have one screw holding it in. once it is removed you can simple start the car with either needle nose pliers or a flat head screwdriver, depending on the design of the ignition

find a regular dodge key.slide it in and out while applying gentle pressure forward