brakes

Asked by Apr 24, 2009 at 09:42 AM about the 1986 Jeep CJ7

what brakes  system this your jeep has, my has the same wheels and lift but does not stop right.

325

86 cj you should have a dana 30 front and a AMC 20 rear disc front and drum rear first things first are your brake pads worn is there brake fluid in the system does the peddle feel spongy if so bleed the brakes to bleed the brakes to do that get a buddy to go into the car pump the brakes 3 times and HOLD THE PEDAL DOWN very important do not release the pedal at all only reason the pedal should be released is on command or if the damn jeep explodes anyway while he holds the pedal you open the bleeder valve it looks like a grease nipple you crack that open at the RR wheel fluid shoot shoot out if it spits in the beginning then thats good youve released air from the system if nothing comes out check fluid level and repeat steps untill the fluid stream is nice and unifom if youve ever shot oil from a squeeze can across the room(of course not at someone smirk) it should look like that repeat steps for RL LR and LL brakes when you press the pedal does it fade towards the floor without doing much of anything master cylinder is shot ** i suggest from what i can gather about your automotive experiance leave this to a mechanic or someone you trust its your brakes these go out you die simple as that ** it will be expensive you can rebuild one but before you do read the above note and add (cj's dont have air bags and most did not have collapsable steering shafts to keep them from impaling you on a hard impact) when you depress the brake pedal does the engine speed change run rough or stall vacuum leak at brake booster check rubber hoses for cracks replace as necessary if it still happens replace brake booster this one you can do but if it fails you wont have power brakes read above note about dying so if this hasnt helped you post up wat problems you are having and be specific not just it doesnt feel right i want to know that when it happened it was tuesday after noon at 12:53PM it wasw raining out and when i hit the pedal i .....(heard a noise what did it sound like , felt funny flet like you werent stopping felt spongy felt like it took to long for the brakes to engage felt like the pedal was weak or soft thought about what you had for breakfest) whatever happens tell me in detail and i can pinpoint your problem