Vin identification

Asked by Jul 01, 2009 at 10:23 AM about the 1977 Jeep CJ7

I need to identify my jeep, is it CJ7 or CJ5 by the VIN #

325

tell me the vin i have a factory service manual dont worry i know it sounds sketchy but the only thing a vin will tell me is that its a jeep the year the plant it was made in and what type of transmission it has the vehicle line and wheel base the style the type of vehicle the gross vehicle weight the engine type thats it post up ill let you know all that info

20

Cj5 is shorter than CJ7. Door opening also diferent. If door openingfollows rear fenderwell with curve to rear of opening then its a 5 or earlier. If door opening is straight down then 90 degree radius toward front of door, its a 7 or later. Hope this helps

20

Look at pic of door openings. This is true with all cjs

215

Well it all depends on the year. (standard vins were not made yet) Vins are located in a couple spots. The engine bay and on the dash. Use this: http://www.goldenhawkjeep.com/cj%20identification.html Now, if you JUST want to know if its a 5 or 7 - look at the door openings like previous people have said. Also look at the length, CJ7's sit at just above 7' long. Doors are the biggest sign though.

215

sorry... to fix myself, the cj7 WHEELBASE is above 7' (roughly around 7.7') and a CJ5 (after '72) is 7' and before '72 is a tad bit shorter