Chrysler 300m, White smoke and smell from exhaust

Asked by May 27, 2014 at 06:53 PM about the 2000 Chrysler 300M

The run ran so smoothly when I bought it there was no light on. As I was taking away
the vehicle the light came on. I drove it home, checked the oil and it looked bone dry.
My stupidity led me to go buy 5 litres of 5w30 and fill it up. I drove the car back and
was unable to check the engine light. I started the car the very next morning and went
for a quick drive when I noticed a huge cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust. I
stopped the car. I took out my OBDII scanner and found two codes both for cylinder 2
misfire. P304 one other code same thing cylinder 2 misfire. I started the car and it
started smoking again. I turned it off. I popped the hood and started it again and this
time the smoke was not coming out anymore. It still smelled from the tail pipe. I
checked the dip stick and it was way past the fill point. I'm thinking of draining some of
the oil. Please help point me in the right direction. Thank you.

P0304 is a misfire in cylinder #4, and will make the car run rough and trip the CEL. You might have overfilled the engine with oil and you will need to remove it. Driving it overfilled will cause more pressure in the engine, blowing gaskets. Also white smoke from the exhaust is a tell tale sign that the head gasket has failed and coolant is getting into your combustion chamber. I'd take the back if you can. If not you should seriously drop it off at a shop before more damage is done.

White smoke from the exhaust could also mean your engine is burning oil along with the gasoline..too much oil in base. As the oil heats and expands it sometimes end up in the combustion chambers. It could also blow your seals and gaskets.