my 1998 vw sharan doesn't start

Asked by Nov 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM about the 1998 Volkswagen Sharan

drove my 1998 volkswagen sharan to work and after work it refused to start. battery is intact. please what could be the problem?

7,785

well what does the car do when you try to crank it ? does it make a grinding noise .. does it make a loud squeeling noise.. does it turn over but not do anything .. does it sputter while its turning over .. we need some details to go by other wise we can say things alday and it won't mean a thing.

exactly, it turns over but doesn't start

7,785

so then it does not sputter or anything or sound like it wants to satart but dosent? when you turn the key can you hear your fuel pump humming to prime the system?

thanks.. it has been fixed. it was the starter coil. but the problem now is if i slow down and and want to speed up again the front tires jerk for few seconds and normalizes as the car accelerates. it now happens more often and it gives me worry. please help

7,785

if you had to replace the coil pack then you will have to most likely replace the spark plugs as well cause there is no telling hweather the faulty pack did not foul a plug or not. try replacing hte spark plugs and see if it helps .

there it goes again.. it wont start this morning. it turns but wont start. getting tired of this whole drama

7,785

this is starting to sound more like a bad cam sensor. A bad cam sensor can cause this if its not reading correctly. if you have a v6 there is 2 sensors one on each head. But i would delve more into checking the spark and making sure none of your crankcase hoses and vacuum lines are broken or not. take out all of your spark plugs and set them near a metal surface make sure they are pluged in to your coil so when you turn the key you can see if they are sparking or not. After you determan wheather or not you got spark get your nose near all the cylinders one after he other and check for the smell of gas if you don't smell any after you had cranked it you have a fuel issue.

thanks... you have been helpful. i really appreciate. but pls what could cause a car alarm to come on in the middle of the night? the alarm and hazard lights just come on for no reason and its really disturbing especially in the night. i was forced to remove the alarm fuse. now what it does is that the hazard lights and head lamps flash for about 30secs like twice or thrice in the night. dnt know what else to do. any help pls?

7,785

the main reason the alarm usaly goes off is the main motion sensor inside the car ussaly breaks down over the years and causes the alarm to go off thinking some one is in the car when there isn't. to stop this from happening every time you go to lock your car reach down beside your drivers side center piller and behind the seat belt is a button. Hold it for 3 seconds or till the alarm light on your drivers door goes out since it will light when you press it and then lock the car. This will stop the alarm from going off at random intervuls for no reason.

thanks.... i will do that and see what happens. but can it be disconnected permanently?

7,785

nope unfortunatly its a part of the car you would need an audi tech to remove it from the car and even then it would still be a part of hte cars security.

ok... thanks so much for your help