1997 Sharan 2.0 auto - problems with acceleration.

Asked by Jul 05, 2011 at 01:51 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Sharan

Over revving / under performing.  Have had a new CAT / exhaust, cam belt, mass air flow/MAF, sparks.  Any suggestions what else it could be?  Has been suggested it's 'running rich' - petrol / air mix not right.  

375

It sounds like the coil is beginning to go. It seems like the car is requiring power to shift and accelerate and that power it usually needs just isn't there. It could also be a timing issue within the cars computer. Do a complete tunup on the car and see where it leaves you. That includes fuel and air filter, new wires, new coil, and new timing belt. Plugs and wires should run you about 40 bucks, the distributor about 50 and fuel and air filter are about 5 each. Not terribly expensive and you're not getting a misfire code so everything seems to be working.