who's lying?? bad caliper or bad wheel bearing??

Asked by Jun 06, 2016 at 07:33 PM about the 2001 Chrysler Voyager

I just had brand new wheel bearing and struts replaced in my minivan... 2
weeks later my wheel is smoking, so hot it boiled my antifreeze...mechanic
said bad chinese wheel bearing and they would repair all damage for free. they
called next day and blamed it all on seized caliper. from what i read it sounds
like bad bearing caused caliper, brakes and voter damage...are they lying to
me and trying to make me pay for their mistake of bad bearings or not greased
and torqued correctly? Can a caliper cause my brand new bearing to go?
please help...mom stuck with no vehicle and need the truth.

15,285

The causes doesn't matter. The "person" who serviced this Had to remove ALL the components that your referencing to complete the Hub Bearing replacement. I always inspect i.e. brake pads, rotors, tires PSI wear etc. BEFORE the service procedure begins. Its my subjective OPTION that only a FOOL would not notice a STUCK, BINDING, HARD TO REMOVE! CALIPER. Along with the Unusual wear that is DISPLAYED on the brake pads INSIDE PAD...I say the place needs to attend USE YOUR BRAIN CLASS 101... NOW, A quick DEFENSE OF THEM did you have all this done at a place for $29.95 If SO its Your FAULT Also. Regards Oh, just about every Hub bearing is now manufactured in China, Next to the Michelin Tire Group, which has invested nearly $1.5 billion, its largest single investment in China, to open its BIGGEST factory ...Welcome to 2016 U.S.A.

25,665

sounds like a seized caliper- get a second opinion-

thank you...so my question is can a seized caliper cause my my new wheel bearing to go? or is it the other way around the wheel bearing caused the damage? You are correct, they would have to be fools to not notice when they took it all apart. I spent $1300 for new driver side wheel bearing and new struts...not $29.95 ironically it's the same side they worked on that failed and they are not taking responsibility and blaming it on the caliper.

Im trying to find out if they are at fault and caused this from workmanship or negligence or if by a strange coincidence it happened to be my caliper...which they should have known of beforehand when they remove everything.

15,285

It's just a bit difficult to believe a caliper, coincidentally failed seizing becoming stuck in the brakes ON position. I have handled so many calipers its possible to tell in moments if it's dragging, sticking or frozen in position along with dry guide pins or bolts... I would advise a client immediately of a potential issue with a caliper(s) I suggest you ask to view the Caliper and inquiry about the other caliper, as they do wear "alike" is the other ready to seize? Next, inspect the hub bearing is it intact and as "new" or is destroyed? in any case at $1300 there's plenty of margin for a shop to repair this and still have done well! even if they replace a rotor $35, brakes pads $35, Hub bearing $65 total $135, they still have a big Win. Finally, front struts 2 total cost is $600 parts and labor. I suggest a different faculty for future service. Regards

Thank you! So basically you are saying they are full of shit...and that the caliper did not destroy new wheel bearings, brakes and Roters? But that that the workmanship they did and possibly the bad chinese wheel bearing s caused this damage? I am not a professional in mechanics and trying to understand. I am guessing you are a professional? Should I take it to another inspector for their opinion before I take this to small claims court?