Update to my last question

Asked by Dec 01, 2008 at 10:54 AM about the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Just got the code from the odometer on my Cruiser. It reads 0301 / misfire detected in Cylinder #1. I am guessing that means my car needs a good tune up, and I should have the spark plugs and possibly the wires replaced? Problem is I live about ten miles away from the closest Chrysler certified mechanic available. (if we still have one!) I don't know if I should drive my car this far at this point? HELP ASAP!!!! Please! :) Katherine

7,555

Okay... I just briefly read through your first post... Hesitation and lurching seem to be the main issues, and they worsen when AC or heat are turned on... and you have a misfire code... Leads me to think it's likey an issue with the ignition system as you suspected. I have a couple of thoughts, but it seems like you want to have this taken care of, so I'd recommend taking it to the nearest mechanic, that you can trust, (tow it if you want to be on the safe side) and ask them to diagnose the problem... It's likely simple tune-up required but there are a handful of things that can cause similar problems. (dieing coil, oil leaking from valve cover into the plug wells, ect...) There are 'backyard mechanic' ways of trying to diagnose it yourself if your interested, but you don't sound like you want to do the work yourself so there really isn't a point to it. Since it's a domestic and a common vehicle, taking it to a dealership a little excessive unless you have some warranty worked out.

Thank you! :) My Father taught me how to change my own oil, filters, etc...But that was in the days when things were easy to get too! The first thing, my husband did when he saw this engine, was laugh and tell me - No way will I ever be able to get my hands into that engine. I spent the day looking up how to fix things on this car. Talked to my local Chrysler mechanic. He felt it would be Ok to drive the car straight to the dealer, but no farther. He recommended to start with a 19point inspection, and look from there. He feels like it could be as simple as the spark plugs or wires to be replaced. He also felt it may be time to have a 3 step injection cleaning service done. I looked up the instructions on how to clean the throttle body, etc. Honestly, I don't think we have the tools to do this. My husband is out of town, and I don't have a clue where these tools would be? He said the total cost of a full tune up, and service on the injectors would run between 350-400. Does that sound way out of line? I am in hard situation with this, and feel like I am out of my league, on fixing this. He said he would not do any work, with out first getting my OK on what to do. I know a computer check is 65, plugs 100, three step injection cleaning 80...what should a tune up cost me and what does it include? UGH!!!!!! I guess I need to go down to the college and take a class on how to fix these new cars! Thanks for any help or advice you can give me! :) Also thank you for your time!!!! Katherine

7,555

dealerships are known as 'stealerships' for a reason... I said a nearby mechanic you can trust :-). While I've never worked in a dealership, several of my friends have, and I, nor they, will take a car to a dealership unless it's under warranty. If you don't have a warranty, don't bother, it's more expensive and in my experience the work they do is sub-par... I'm unfortunately not very familiar with the pt cruiser having only done oil changes on 'em, so I don't really feel comfortable giving to much advice without seeing the car in person. If I remember there is an intake plenum that runs over the top of the engine though and makes accessing the plug wires not so simple. If it's easily removed, I'd recommend checking the end of the plug wires for oil. This would indicate that the valve cover is leaking into the plug wells, which can cause your type of problem and is often over looked... As to the 3 stage cleaner... they are likely not talking about pulling the throttle body to clean it. Instead they are likely talking about a chemical treatment that involves a bottle of injector cleaner (like the kind you see at walmart) that goes in the gas tank and another solvent that is run through a vacuum line that cleans the valves and intake system... They work, but considering your car has only 80k miles it would should not be enough to cause a misfire code or the rough running you describe, especially the fact that turning the heater or ac on worsens the situation... It will likely improve your gas mileage a bit though... So ask your neighbor or friends if they know a good mechanic in your area, and take it to them. In my experience a local garage likely won't charge to diagnose the problem.

1,865

For your missfire code, drive it to the dealer or another shop, more than likely, you need plugs and wires as PT's did not come with platinum plugs that are good to 100,000k. as for your other question on the services, the 3 stage cleaning is a preventative measure usually performed at the 50,000k mark. This is a recommended service as water and other contaminents can get into your fuel system and plug injector screens and cause the injector open/close rates to change due to tight tolerances. Usually a miss-fire is just plugs and wires...sometimes just plugs is ok.

I suddenly started seeing code p 0700, U 0101 and P1xxx and the odometer stopped showing speed on my 2007 PT cruiser 62K miles. I did some research on google and forums like this. Here is how could get read of this with no money spent. 1. the main problem was the loose gas cap. Opened it closed it tightly. after that went for a small trip, hair cut and checked codes again and it was not showing any code only done (to see code turn key in on and of tree times quickly on and hold in on once you see ----- in place of millage). 2. Did the odometer reset (procedure in you tube) it started working after that. 3. removed the negative terminal of battery for 90 seconds. the engine light was cleared after that. Try if any of these help you.