Update to my last question

Asked by Dec 01, 2008 at 10:53 AM about the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Just got the code from the odometer on my Cruiser. It reads 0301 / misfire detected in Cylinder #1. I am guessing that means my car needs a good tune up, and I should have the spark plugs and possibly the wires replaced? Problem is I live about ten miles away from the closest Chrysler certified mechanic available. (if we still have one!) I don't know if I should drive my car this far at this point? HELP ASAP!!!! Please! :) Katherine

1,245

it is likely a bad plug/wire, but could be something else. if you or someone you know is decent around cars get them to take the plug out of #1 and see what it looks like. if they car is running normally, and just showing the code then it should be fine to drive to the garage, if its noticable missing then the best route is to get it towed. driving with a missing cylinder may not lead to instant engine failure, but the fuel in that cylinder will tend to wash away some of the oil, leading to high wear.