Automatic Transmission

Asked by Feb 02, 2013 at 02:51 PM about the 1953 Pontiac Chieftain

I just recently purchased a primo 1953 Pontiac 4 door that appears to have an automatic transmission that has been changed out for some reason. Looks like it's a Chevrolet Powerglide of all things. Has anyone ever heard of this done or was it a swap someone did?  Seems sluggish with this transmission. Any clue?

20,615

no doubt a swap,only about 110 hp up front, i;d keep the powerglide ,one of the more lasting and stronger transmissions, go with a lower rearend

4,825

Unless you are planning to put in a different engine, I would keep the Powerglide. They were used for years and parts are still available for them.

The powerglide was not a swap.In 1953 some Pontiacs were equipped with Chevy's Powerglide after the HydraMatic factory burned to the ground. Also, some Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs were equipped with Buick's Dynaflow transmissions when the supply of HydraMatics was exhausted. A Dynaflow Cadillac was a disappointing car to drive.