I am buying a 86 Porsche 928s.It was put in a garage 6 years ago and not started since. It ran when it was put away. What should I do before trying to start it?

Asked by Aug 02, 2012 at 01:37 PM about the 1986 Porsche 928

65

Haul it to an independent and let them purge the entire fuel system and replace faulty hoses belts and fluids. Do not, do not try to start this car without professional help...

65

My Porsche 911 was stored improperly for 3 years, like this 928, and it cost me $15,000-$18,000 to correct all the problems. Basically re-built/overhauled entire car. So, unless your getting the 928 for basically free and your brother is a Porsche mechanic, I would pass on buying.

1,805

Change and bleed all the fluids - oil, brake, coolant, fuel etc. Check all hoses OK. Replace the battery. Remove all the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand using a wrench on the crank pulley to make sure it is not seized. (Spray some light oil in the cylinders before trying this.) When you are happy the engine turns over freely, try cranking on the starter motor for 10 secs or so with the HT leads still disconnected from the spark plugs. Look for any fuel and coolant leaks. If all is OK, have a fire extinguisher standing by, connect up the HT leads and try to crank it over. If there is any strange smells, smoke or noises, stop immediately and seek help.

265

I know this is an old post, but REALLY? as long as there is oil in the engine you can try to crank it. Run it up gently, but you don't have to do any of the crap.

1,805

Robert, good luck at trying to stop at the first red light and your foot goes to the floor as the brake slave cylinder fails, or find there was water in the oil and you destroy your crankshaft. I doubt it would even start on 6 year old fuel.

265

Andy, I assumed it was common sense to check the oil, radiator, transmission, and brake reservoir before attempting to drive anything for the first time. That being said, a soon as you crank a car, before putting it in gear, you will know whether it does or does not have breaks based on how the peddle feels. Secondly, when checking the oil you should notice whether or not there is water in it. And thirdly, whether it starts or not is beside the point, because Dadddio was simply asking what he should do before TRYING to start it. Personally, I would be surprised if it fired up because these cars' fuel pumps go when they've been sat ( which is exactly what the deal was with my 1986 928 S). Now your method is certainly not going to do any damage, but it is excessive.

55

Get your master cylinder checked! I bought my 928 after 2 years of storage, and the brakes failed completely at 90kmh due to perished seals in the brake master cylinder.