1980 Porsche 928 won't start?

Asked by Jan 10, 2011 at 04:16 PM about the 1980 Porsche 928

I have a 1980 Porsche 928 and can't get the car to start. I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned and reinstalled the fuel injectors and replaced the injector hoses with new ones. I also have replaced the starter and have a freshly charged battery. If I spray starting fluid in it it starts up, runs for a few seconds or so than dies. I checked the fuel pump pressure from the pump to the injectors and have good pressure. What other areas should I be checking? Even though I have good pressure to the injectors how can I tell if the gas is reaching the plugs? Since the car fires when I spray starting fluid and I have checked for spark what else could it be?

605

I had a similar issue with my Chrysler Lebaron once I'll tell you what I did and you can try it, but it might have just been luck that fixed it. I put gas in a spray bottle and opened up the air cleaner and had my wife turn it over to start the car while I worked the throttle and sprayed fuel into it. I fueled the crap out of it with the throttle plate wide open and after awhile it started running on its own. I think it had water in the injectors and they couldn't open far enough to clean it out until I had the car running at WOT. It was hard to start for the next couple times and I had to hold it half throttle to get it to start, but after a tank of fresh gas it started running good again.

40

if you want the answear to your problem with your 928 email me at rayhaikkala@hotmail. com I am a asc certified mechanic 28 years