1980 Porsche 928 won't start?

Asked by Jan 10, 2011 at 04:16 PM about the 1980 Porsche 928

I have a 1980 Porsche 928 and can't get the car to start. I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned and reinstalled the fuel injectors and replaced the injector hoses with new ones. I also have replaced the starter and have a freshly charged battery. If I spray starting fluid in it it starts up, runs for a few seconds or so than dies. I checked the fuel pump pressure from the pump to the injectors and have good pressure. What other areas should I be checking? Even though I have good pressure to the injectors how can I tell if the gas is reaching the plugs? Since the car fires when I spray starting fluid and I have checked for spark what else could it be?

805

I had a similar issue with my Chrysler Lebaron once I'll tell you what I did and you can try it, but it might have just been luck that fixed it. I put gas in a spray bottle and opened up the air cleaner and had my wife turn it over to start the car while I worked the throttle and sprayed fuel into it. I fueled the crap out of it with the throttle plate wide open and after awhile it started running on its own. I think it had water in the injectors and they couldn't open far enough to clean it out until I had the car running at WOT. It was hard to start for the next couple times and I had to hold it half throttle to get it to start, but after a tank of fresh gas it started running good again.

50

if you want the answear to your problem with your 928 email me at rayhaikkala@hotmail. com I am a asc certified mechanic 28 years

Replace your fuel injector relay. Same relay as your horn. Switch them. Your injectors are not getting power, hence no gas. Your cold start injector sprays a small amount of gas to help car start but it's just a squirt, that's why it dies.