My 1974 Karmann Ghia doesn't idle, I have had two carbuerators replaced, plus the fuel pump and fuel filter. What else can I try?

Asked by Sep 14, 2014 at 06:02 PM about the 1974 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

I am taking my car to a repair shop that specializes in VW engines.  So far this summer he has replaced the carbuerator, fuel pump and fuel filter.  Then tried another carbuerator (in case the first one was faulty) and another fuel filter.  He cleaned the old gas out, and I started over with Seafoam and 91 octane gas but it still won't idle.  Any help please?  He is willing to work with me.

238,005

Vacuum leak? Timing issue?

9,345

have you tried checking the spark ? make sure all the cylinders are firing. and check for arc from the cables and distributor cap. Pull off the distributor cap and check the rotor and the cap. these model engines have a very bad habit of getting corroded or part of the rotor melts off from all the work it does.

Check for spark first to make sure all the cylinders are firing. Harbor freight sells a spark check tool that is very handy when looking for that. its only $5.95. If one or more of the cylinders are not firing check the wires first, then check the spark plugs. If neither of this works check the valves. If everything is firing check your timing. If you have a stock engine it should be reading 28* Advanced TDC @2,000 RPM, timing by centrifugal advance is more accurate. Hope this helps! :)

.