Single or dual port engine?

Asked by Mar 14, 2011 at 05:48 AM about the 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

hi, might seem a very stupid question but I'm not sure how to tell if my engine is a single or dual port engine. The carburetor appears to be knackered so I need to see if it's single or dual port. It's a 1971 karmann.
Is it possible to tell from this photo or would I need a closer inspection? I've googled it but then look at the engine and am still none the wiser!
Pls help! Thanks

1,635

dual port. look at the intake manifold. it goes from the carb, down to a T, then out toward the cylinder heads. out toward the ends a single port will be one piece all the way to the head itself. on a dual port, the intake goes into END CASTINGS. these are seen in the photo of yours where there is the intake, rubber boots (that seal the intake to the end castings) then the end castings bolt to the head.

Thanks Chris. You've been a great help. Much appreciated.