NO DASH LIGHT'S 1975 Catalina

Asked by May 22, 2017 at 03:09 AM about the 1975 Pontiac Catalina

Checked fuse box and have power.

118,165

So then your going to,have to pull out the dash and check the wiring and IC board for power to the dash lights. Does the radio light also not work? If it is also out then I would suspect that you have a broken wire somewhere in the dash light circuit, or sometime in its life it had a voltage surge with the lights on and blew out every lamp in the dash light system, I have seen it happen, took out all the external lamps also, would have fried the radio too if it had of been turned on.

Pulled the cluster out IC board looks fine no burn's or splits. Far as the light's not sure yet my eyes aren't good. I probed the pigtail and have power to a few wire's. Their is a black wire bottom left from the light cluster centered between the wiper switch and headlight switch which is puzzling me it appears to be a ground but can't be it's not grounded to metal just pushed or pressed in the plastic. Radio has no light's or sound. Thank you for your help

118,165

If I remember right that black wire is not actually a wire but a fiber optic cable that delivers light to the bezel to illuminate the lettering for the headlight and wiper switch. You may need to get a cluster wiring diagram, some might be on the internet but your best bet is your local library in the reference section find your make and model repair manual and have the diagrams you need copied off. Old diagrams are getting harder and harder to find especially on makes and models that are no longer made.

Cigarette lighter light and ashtry light I put new bulb's in today Nothing. Could a headlight sw

Could a headlight switch be bad.

118,165

Possibly but usually you can find a spot where the dash lights work on the rheostat and that usually kills the power to the dash light fuse, do the outside marker lights work in position one, and do they stay on when clicked to position two for the headlights?

All outside lights work. markers headlights tail lamps breaks reverse. I believe I've got a short or bad ground.

118,165

Did you locate the dash lights power wire coming from the headlight switch? And does it have dimmable power to it when you turn the headlight knob?

Yes I located it. Has power and dims properly. The problem was at the fuse box a bad connection to the 5amp dash fuse.

118,165

Was it repairable or did you have to wire in another fuse holder? Better check the others too.

Dash fuse. The copper terminals which hold the fuse had some play. It was repairable with a small plastic wedge an some rosin core wire for a nice solder.

Your information was very knowledgeable an helpful. I really like the fiber-optic wire to the wiper switch. It ruled out the ground And the IC board for circuit of connection It's been 20+ years since I restored a classic. With common sense and reading along with your imput We got it done. All dash light's generator seatbelt oil & temperature turn signal Indicators & 4 way and blue high beam cigarette lighter ashtrays. Everything works. Thank you for your help and time. Very much appreciated