Idle

20

Asked by Sep 25, 2017 at 07:37 PM about the 1966 Pontiac Catalina

She sat for about a week before I put new
motor mounts on it,I had been restoring her
ad after I got done with the mounts started
her up and now it won't run as smooth as it
was, it's not missing but the engine is Al
over the place,also it sat up for about 3
years,,, can anyone please help,,

6,085

With a 1966 engine, you won't be able to "check codes" or have the car provide any info to you about the engine. You will need to go old school and begin diagnosing fuel, ignition and carb issues that may be the cause. Start simple and check timing and dwell after insuring points, cap, and rotor are in good condition. Adjust as needed and see if the problem goes away. Next I would go after carb adjustments and cleanliness for both fuel and air issues. Good luck. Is it a 326 or 389 engine? Just curious.

109,725

Tune it up but the fuel system is probably gummed up from sitting so long. Remove all the old fuel and put fresh premium and carburetor cleaner in the tank. You may have to rebuild the carb though.

20

It's a 389, the carb has been rebuilt, plugs wires, module, rotor cap all are good got 93 octane in it ,it tries to level as I've been adjusting the carb but won't,, it started doing this out of nowhere,it sat for a week after I had been moving it in and out of the garage ,a when I got back to it to put motor mounts on it I noticed it was running strange, but I am going to check the timing tomorrow,,, just don't see how timing could have moved,,,, I'm so confused right now.