Should I restore to original or make a recreation?

Asked by Apr 09, 2013 at 02:39 PM about the 1961 Pontiac Catalina

I have an original 61 starchief, 425A, 4speed, KH 8 lugs and a safe t trac rear. I also have a 61 cat convertible..My delema is I know the Startcheif is a one off car. My dad ordered it new in 61, but the car is completely rusted out, torque boxes on frame are gone as well as floors rockers and bottom of car. I bought the catalina convertible to drop the drive train into but not sure which is the proper investment...restoration of a one off car or recreate a Bobcat convertible

If you want to make a museum piece try to keep it original, but for a daily driver would start with a chassis that already has dual m/c brakes and power braking assist unit- The frame will be sound that way and would make a daily driver, not a museum piece, if you like wrenchin' this would be a challenge to bring the chassis of say a 78 oldsmobile into service as a starchief. You might have to check the wheelbase and select a donor vehicle that has the same footprint (more or less)~ had a '59 catalina, my first love then some feller with a rented Dodge Aries K car slammed into it without ever taking his foot off the accelerator, the 60,000 mile 389 ran perfectly, even after the collision-

looks like you've got plenty of hands to help, there~