Engine stalling at 2000rpm

Asked by Feb 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen 1600

I have a 1972 dual carb manx style dune buggy. It runs fine at idle and revs fine. When I start do drive, in any gear, it seems to bog down at about 2000 RPMs. It will stall if I continue to drive. Once I push in the clutch or put in neutral it is OK. I have replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, fuel filter, and cleaned the carbs with the same results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

35

Hello, write back or post what kind of distributor you have in the vehicle. Try advancing the igition timing by 7 or 8 degress and test drive. See if that cures the problem. Do stay in touch and till you get this problem solved

35

If you have original distributor i that, I´m wavering the harm is in the vacuum-control box of the distributor, either vacuumtube leaks or the film has broken. there are possibilities, the points have loosened or take contact with condenser screw, too. I recommend to renew the whole point-bottom.

25

possible the carbs need to be serviced and check the spark under load.