2004 pt cruiser won't start

20

Asked by Caroline Oct 15, 2018 at 06:47 PM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I was on my way home the other day and my car
died while I was driving. Now it won't start.

291,405

Out of gas? What happens when you try to start it?

10

My 2006 PT Cruiser did that one day and it was the timing belt. Power was fine in battery and gas etc. I hate when someone usually a man asks us women "Did you put gas in it?" Like we are all dumb! Take your cruiser in to a shop if it can't turn over with a jump.

291,405

I have had a few sheepish affirmatives when asking people if they ran it out of gas. Chill.

20

I just filled it up with gas, and I tried to jump it off and it still wouldn't start. It sounds like it's out of gas when I try to start it though, I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump? I don't know that much about cars though so I have no clue.

291,405

Occam's Razor. The simplest solution is often times the correct answer.

291,405

If the engine turns over but does not start the next step is to verify spark and fuel to the engine. Do you hear the fuel pump hum when you turn the key on?

10

If you can have a mechanic friend come over and look at it would be best. If not then you will need to tow it in somewhere. I've owned two PT Cruisers and always had serious issues. If its timing belt..it could blow the valves and u will need a new engine. So u may need to sell it or trade it in. Sorry hun. Car probs suck. Let this guy on here give ya advice. Its free.

291,405

kelley is right in that PT's are crap.

10

Ninja dude..The mechanic told me that's what happened to my 06 Cruiser I just bought! After 22 days Timing Belt snapped off and he told me the valves were bent so he had to replace the engine. Carhop made the worst decision by putting in a junkyard engine! Lots of more issues kept happening after I got it back. My other 06 Cruiser not much ever happened to that car just clutch went out after 6yrs. Bought brand new. It was a good little car for looks but performance its slow and needs attention. Cute design though. Thats the "eye candy" look we all do when we buy cars.

291,405

Dodge does have nice car designs.