Has anyone had a problem with sudden acceleration in a Kia Sportage?

Asked by Mar 02, 2012 at 02:39 PM about the 2008 Kia Sportage

Sudden, involuntary acceleration has happened twice in our 2008 Kia Sportage, both times while braking to slow down for a stop light or to pull into a parking spot. I was able to keep the vehicle from moving into the intersection the first time, but unable to control it the second time and crashed into a concrete wall. FORTUNATELY no one was injured in either incident, but we have damage from the most recent incident that happened on 2/29/2012

80

Yes, the same accident happened in South Korea yesterday. A pregnant woman was driving, and suddenly involuntary accerleration has happened and the car crashed into a wall. You can take a look the clip recorded the accident .

40

It appears Kia is not addressing the problem. They have operators handling the call they speak very well and extremely well trained in shutting you up and getting you off the phone. Very sad. But I am afraid for my wife and kids. Perhaps a class action law suit would open some eyes.

965

There is a clip on the throttle linkage that has a tendency to bend which is what causes the sudden acceleration simply bend the clip until it fits snug and adjust accordingly

40

I just had a sudden unintended acceleration in my 2012 Kia Sportage yesterday. At a very low parking lot speed, as I pulled into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated over a curb, up a grass embankment (thank goodness no other vehicle was involved), and further, the brake didn't readily respond, going to the floor. I appreciate the throttle linkage tip and will have that checked, as well as having the diagnostics run to be kept on file. Very scary.

Thank you, Has anyone had this problem with a 2015 sportage? Mike

70

We have experienced sudden unexplained acceleration and spent a lot of money on diagnosis and replacement of parts in a 2008 Sportage. Turns out, it is a problem linked to the cruise control module. Once the module was disconnected, no further problems over 25,000km. It may appear that when the module is faulty, it randomly invokes cruise control and attempts to reach a previously set speed, hence the surge of engine revs.

60

The gas pedal is no longer connected to the engine on Any car made by Anybody.  Now the gas pedal talks to the computer and the computer talks to the engine.  Kia (and many others) have programed their computers to change the speed of the engine whenever they want - Without the drivers Permission.   It is not a problem with any component of the car (therefore waste of time & money replacing any parts), it is the Design Flaw [of the computer taking over control of the engine] combined with an Assembly Flaw, that can cause 'computer confusion' under rare varying environmental conditions (and therefore impossible to replicate or diagnose).  Over a period of time Temperature & Humidity may cause condensation to form inside Certain electrical connections Intermittently shorting out a Combination of signals to the computer - if this causes the computer to Think it needs to prevent a stall, it doesn't care if there is even a driver in the car - the computer Takes Control of the engine.  

20

It hashappened to me yesterday. $7000 damage. I refuse to drive it, car only 6mnths 0ld, can you enlghten me to what did Kia do to fix it? By the way , mine is a Kia Cerato, model 2016.

70

This is definitely a faulty cruise control module. Please let me explain. When you use cruise control, you have a speed set. If you then turn on cruise control it will resume the previously set speed. There is a fault in the module whereby the cruise control kicks in again, trying hard to accelerate back up to the previously set speed. It's as simple as that. I am going to ask authorities in Australia to check the faulty module to see if it is a design fault. This was recommended by a vehicle engineer.

70

If anyone doubts what I'm suggesting, we disconnected the faulty module and the vehicle has travelled over 60,000km now without fault. My mother is too scared to use cruise control on that car again, so she doesn't want it fixed. Sadly, as an older driver, my siblings and I were blaming our mother, believing she was mistaking the pedals or pushing both at once. I want the ACCC in Australia to investigate and possibly recall the vehicle, and I will replace it for her this year.

20

Thank you for your help, my car a2016 Kia Cerato, only 4500 miles on speedo.I refuse to drive this car again.I simply do not trust it

20

I intend to go on with this is Kia do not satisy me when car is inspected on Tuesday. Does anyone else have the same inclination?

20

Kia did not satisfy me,simply fobbed my husband off.This is a dangerous car & I cannot trust it anymore. Does anyone know what I can do to get some satisfaction from Kia?

10

This is very common on the Kia Amanti, no throttle clip like on the KIA Sportage, and disconnecting the cruse control does NOT solve the problem.

70

Are you in Australia? We have been recommended to have the ACCC inspect the faulty part with a view to recalling the affected vehicles with that cruise control system.

10

Maybe we should all get rid of our Kia's, and go buy one of those cars that drive themselves!

10

It is NOT the Cruise Control and it is not limited to KIA cars . . . suddenacceleration.com

20

Yes I am in Australia & certainly interested in going to the TCCC. Please advise me on how to proceed.