search for parts

130

Asked by Nov 16, 2011 at 09:37 AM about the 1990 Cadillac Eldorado

i just purchased a 1990 eldorado touring coupe with 68, 000 miles on it, owned for the last 17 years by a GM engineer, 2nd owner. it started running rough and service engine light came on so i brought it to my local cadillac dealer who told me i had 2 bad injectors, and btw parts for this car are no longer available. i did a little google search and found almost anything like a diverter valve the mgr. told me was no longer in his parts system. he then told me that chances are i will have the rest of the injectors go one by one in the future. sorry for the long thread, but my question is, should i replace all the injectors bought as new parts from ebay, also any other parts. should i just buy my own and find a mechanic competent to work on my car or stay with the dealer? i plan to keep this car as long as i can. it is in mint condition. any ideas will be appreciated. i never considered a 21 year old car as being obselete and having any problems getting parts from dealer. i've owned many older cars and in most cases parts were still available, except for minor things. i'll post a pic to show you why i want to hold on to this car.

4,715

well i feel you are in a big soup. Jokes apart. I can only suggest you to take your vehicle to a dealer and get the best thing done. http://www.latestcarpictures.com/

130

i guess you didn't read my thread. i said i took it to the dealer and he gave me lousy advice. your answer, take it to the dealer. not much help there buddy.

7,545

try napa auto parts.. they should have the injectors. just replace those that are bad. the repair involves removing the fuel pump fuse then cranking the engine(2X) to relieve fuel rail pressure. next remove the fuel rail bolts and fuel line. slowly remove the rail and injectors(i believe one bank goes out first then next side). my Riviera E-body is 23 years old. the dealer will not have parts but it can be found at a good parts shop. :)

130

thanks. i just got a tip from an old neighbor, an 89 yr. old lady who has a 90 sedan de ville. she gave me the name of her mechanic that locates parts and has been servicing her car for years. i'm swinging by there 1st chance i get just to feel him out. if he's as good as my neighbor says and cheap, because she's a tightwad, i'll use him to do stuff i can't anymore. i'm 63 with a back injury and 2 bad knees. maybe i'll luck out. thanks for the reply.

130

130

an update on my car. it's running fine, just did complete cooling system flush, thermostat, housing, hoses, new optima battery, only problem is remaining ses light code 0e49 which we found a bad solenoid on the diverter valve gm part # 17090215 which has been discvontinued for years. so far my search includes registering in national salvage yards data base, even paid one money up front reimbursible if part is found, ads, all with no luck, so my next question is can my car run with a failed diverter valve. my mechanic and some others say yes, but others say it will be inoperable when totally failed. i thought mine was failed. the solenoid is not allowing the air from the pump to be diverted either to the cat or to the intake. anyone have experience with this or know the definitive answer. is it just an emmissions problem or will it stop the operation of the engine. also, a long shot, anyone know where i can find this part? thanks guys.

130

oh yeah, forgot, new air, fuel filters, pcv valve. plugs, wires were just changed by previous owner as well as mobil 1 oil change and filter. car purrs and starts on 1st turn of the key. i'm really confused having no experience with this part.

130

fyi everyone. part # 17090215 is available at cadillac heaven, 800-227-9330. ordered it today $225.00 including shipping. good source for parts. yard has over 1,000 older caddys. hope this info helps someone