Owner's manual sayd battery is behind passenger seat...can't find it anywhere

20

Asked by May 12, 2007 at 06:19 PM about the 1990 Cadillac Allante

cannot find the battery and owner's manual says it is behind the passenger's seat and needs key to open panel.  Shows carpeted area...can not find it anywhere!  Can you help me?

33,075

Everything that I have read says that it is located behind the passenger seat underneath a panel. It doesn't say exactly where, but it's back there somewhere. Pull up every carpet and panel and plastic covering you can. It's back there.

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

I know lightgear is right and we have pulled up metal strip and carpet and can't get anything else loose to access the battery...Find it hard to believe that Cadillac would put a battery in an inacessible place. Owners's manaual sure is NO help! Will keep trying...Marcia

55

The battery is right behind the passenger side seat, you will find a keyhole in the side panel, use the ignition key to open it and pull the whole panel out. The panel is carpeted and it is on the side NOT on the floor.

40

The battery is actually located as stated behind the passenger seat. Just pull the carpeted panel forward from the corner and you will observe the battery compartment. Disregard the information regarding the need for a key. Les

50

I just got a 92 Allante. Fortunately, it has a new battery. Mine does not have a key lock. The easiest way I found to access the battery was to open the trunk and on the right side panel, push forward on the front panel. You will hear the spring clip unlock. Then, you can easily pull the panel forward from behind the passenger seat. I did not have to disconnect any of the wires to speaker or vent fan, since there was plenty of slack. The panel covering the battery slides in a track on the back deck floor. Be sure it is in this track when you slide it back into place until the spring clasp locks. I could not dislodge it until I pushed it from the trunk. Unfortunately, the car's manual does not tell you this.

40

I just bought an Allante' and everything I have encountered on the car is a nightmare. The battery location is just the beginning. Try putting the top down. Toss the owners manual it's useless. When this car was built there was not internet so people just got rid of them. Fortunately, with the internet I have been able to tolerate this car. I plan on getting rid of it as soon as possible. What a mechanical nightmare!

60

Only an idiot can't figure out how to work an Allante convertible top. Push two buttons, pull up the well cover, fold the top into the well, replace the cover, and you're off. It takes 15 seconds. Go back to school and learn to read an owners manual.

10

First read Fredman's answer. Add to it, open passenger door and raise boot before trying to climb into trunk to push the panel. Once panel is moved forward an inch or so, pull from behind the seat and lift up on panel. By the way have the top down. Now wonder the Italians lost the war with design geniuses like these. I wonder if it will go back???

I really enjoyed the comments about battery accessability. Anxious to give it a try.

Happy with this wonderful car Very stable on the road and powerful engine

Beautiful car Very powerful engine and good on the road