I recently had my water pump replaced and now my van won't start

Asked by Jan 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM about the 2002 Ford Windstar

When trying to start now, it cranks over like it's flooded with the odd
back fire. It ran and started perfect before the water pump was
replaced. What could the problem be?

Sounds like whomever did you water pump messed something up. Maybe he knocked off a spark plug wire and didn't put them back on right. That would explain the backfiring also. Replacing a water pump should not have anything to to with causing a no-start condition. The plug wire is a guess, but something like that. Yes, it has a coil-pack but this can still happen

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3a38q-2002-windstar-3-8l-slight-miss-so.html ..see that for more information..click image

It also has a popping sound under the hood when cranking it over. He had me replace the cam positioning sensor. I'm just very confused with this.

If the cam or crankshaft position sensor either one is bad or knocked out of position that would do what you describe. It's a longshot but maybe disconnect the Neg- battery cable for about 5-10 minutes, that maybe, just maybe the ECU will 're-learn' and ignition timing will go to default

.

I've tried disconnecting the battery for over an hour, hooked it back up and no different. I looked the best I can without stripping down the wiper area to look at the coil assembly. It's very frustrating, as I am not a mechanic but have the basis understanding. If it's anything to serious I'm wondering if it's worth the expense of towing to a garage and sinking more money into it. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated!