the computer is not registering the items hooked up to battery. lost 2 serpetine belts in 1 week, mechanic said one day the computer registers everything and the next nothing

10

Asked by Feb 03, 2013 at 09:24 AM about the 2007 Hyundai Terracan

Two serpentine belts in one week, to state the obvious, should not happen, If you have a vacuum pump for emissions in Calif (I of course have no clue if you are in Calif. or not) that vacuum pump may be dragging or locked up, they are notorious for that Or the tensioner is not getting it tight..do you hear a squeal while driving?

89,735

2007 vehicle - around 90,000 miles... worn tensioner, bad tensioner pulley, bad A/C compressor and or mis-aligned pulleys, --- Another possibility is that the wrong belt was installed. Count the number of grooves on the pulley and the number of grooves on the belt. They have to be the same or the belt rides on top and tears up in a short time.

Yikes tenspeed that answer is way better than mine. I should have thought of wrong belt, and especially A/C..... beat me with a stick. Oh wait I have an excuse. The sun was in my eyes. That's it

I'd still like to know if it squeals though

89,735

Thanks David! I found out about counting grooves on that GM site. Now you know too. --- I would think that the more probable cause of this belt munching Hyundai would be a worn tensioner spring as you stated in the first post.

Right on tenspeed.... zan....when you start your car the alternator will be under a load to charge the battery back up from starting. And if you turn on the defroster the A/C compressor will also kick in and run the air through the evaporator to remove moisture, so you are not blowing moist air on the windshield. Either/both will strain the serpentine belt, but it should accept that load with no problem. But if it the wrong one and/or not tight, there you are, a week later or less it's off or broken Now..as for "computer not registering items hooked up to battery" I have no clue what you mean by that...what 'items'?

1

2

3

10

thanks you for the help. Actually I live in Costa Rica and this is why I am a bit desperate for help. The mechanics are not the best here and I live in small town. I will copy these letters and take them to the mechanic he is going to find some one with a computer to check out the problems.These answers make sense ...