Can u put regular unleaded gas in this car or do you need premium?

Asked by Sep 26, 2010 at 07:38 PM about the 1992 Cadillac DeVille

80

You should go with what the owners manual says but a 92' should do fine on reg.

785

all cadilacs say to use premium but regualr will not hurt it.

185

Agreed. Performance may suffer some, but I primarily run 87 octane, every once in a while running 89 or 92 or 93. I don't see much of a mileage boost in mid or premium fuels, so unless you're rallying with your DeVille, you'll be fine with regular.

30

Use regular. If towing or driving up mountain roads, use Med or High oct. for power. I get 24 to 26 mpg on the hiway using regular.

30

does this apply to a 1998?

40

Yep. I believe the Northstars were improved in 2000 or so to accept 87 octane as a standard fuel, and a 1998 officially should say to run premium, but 87 should still be fine.

80

IF YOU PUT REGULAR UNLEADED IN A PREMIUM ONLY CAR IT WILL SPIT AND SPUTTER AND EVEN STALL.YOU SHOULD BE GETTING OVER 20 MPG AND THAT SHOULD MAKE UP FOR HIGHER GAS PRICES.IF YOU WANT LUXERY YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA SOMETIMES FOR IT.OR WOULD YOU RATHDER DRIVE A ESCORT??I ONLY DRIVE CADDILACS AND THEYN PAY FOR THEMSELVES BECUASE PAOPLE THINK YOU GET CRAPPY MILAGE AND THEY DEPRECIATE SO BAD I BOUGHT 2 DEVILLES (HIS AND HERS ) OFF A ESTATE GOT BOTH FOR 6,000 BUCK BOTH HAVE UNDER 50,000 MILES ONE IS A 99 DEVILLE AND ONE IS 97 DEVILLE.THE OLDER ONE HAS 50.000 MILES ONIT.I AM SELLING THE PEARL LIGHT GRN BEAUTIFUL DELEGANCE FOR 4,000 GRAND EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO BUT IS BRAND NEW MICHELEINS O IT 30 MILES ON THEM EMAIL ME AT THOM171@AOL.COM

125

i've got a 98 eldorado & a 2005 escalade .. both say use premium & both run perfectly on regular .. i continue to get 24 & 17 mpg hwy, respectively .. occasionally before long road trip do i use premium - just as a treat for excellent behavior !!

80

Thanks for the info on the gas mileage. I'm looking at buying a 93 Cadillac Deville (fully loaded) tomorrow. It has 56k miles, stereo doesn't work (fuse?) and it has a little peeling paint on bumper. We are considering paying $3500. Does that sound like a good deal? An old lady has owned it for 16 years and it has been in carport all of life.

30

For the milage it is a good deal. Regular will get you good milage and run great. If you are towing or going up mountains use mid or high grade, this will increase the horse power. I get 22 mph around town using regular and 26 fwy milage.

80

Thank you SO much. It's so kind and helpful of you. God bless! I guess we will purchase today :)

100

My 1998 cad says low a/c cooler an a/c off what is wrong with it

10

My 1996 Sedan Deville runs fine on plus so I'm gonna try regular after these reviews thanks guys for the info

30

Just bought 1997 eldorado wondering about premium only on tank hatch that is what previous owners used religiously anyway going to try 87 n see how it performs

Thanks guys

10

My 1999 Cadillac Deville was making this clattering noise at each acceleration. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Then I just decided to listen to the manual and use Premium Fuel. The clattering went away. I can accelerate as hard as I want with no problems. I really don't recommend a low grade fuel for the Northstar of the 90s.

I was using 87 in my 92 sedan DeVille and it was knocking and pinging very much so I put mid grade in and it helped but still not really as responsive as premium so I am going to get premium all the time I am going to have to pay the .50 cent's different in price but I won't have to pay for throttle position sensor or get e.g. r. Valve problems