My car guy says not to worry about routine spark plug replacement on my 1994 deville 4.9. Car is running fine but back in my day you replaced plugs now and again. about 160000 miles on my baby ---opinions?

15,835

Asked by Apr 27, 2014 at 03:19 PM about the 1994 Cadillac DeVille

CAR RUNS GREAT

217,665

Most newer plugs were platinum. So change them every 100K. I'd pull one plug to see how it looks, if yours are original. Changing plugs are cheap insurance of a good running car.

Best Answer
15,835

I called my guy (I know it's Sunday but he's a bud) he said that the back plugs are a b--ch and as long as we're not coughing and sputtering he'd just leave it alone. He also said that if someone could tell him how to get at the back without pulling the engine forward. he would appreciate that advice.He said he has never been able to change those back plugs with any easy method.

217,665

Have him remove the cross bar between the front struts and on some models you can remove the front dogbone mount and slightly rock the engine forward. Try putting a 2x4 piece of wood between the back of the engine and the firewall to hold the engine forward..

15,835

My guy said thanks but as I said he wanted to know an easy way that didn't involve pulling the engine forward. Why do they design cars that require a contortionist or tearing apart just to change plugs. This is not new - I know the designers have a lot of pollution junk to accommodate - guess I just miss the days when you could crawl inside the engine compartment and get at everything.

15,835

Well he did as you said, plugs all new with wires too, still it's a pain in the a_s that they design cars so poorly (kids)