So I backed into a 1995 Cadillac sedan. I made a dent on the drivers door , and the owner said she got an estimate and it was around 2,500$ to repair the small dent. Is she trying to rip me off ?

10

Asked by Aug 24, 2015 at 08:37 PM about the 1995 Cadillac DeVille

Sounds like it. Demand, not ask (but be polite) you see three estimates. I did the same thing to a 1992 Lincoln, small dent in door and it was $600. Very small dent but still.....

Best Answer Mark helpful
70,255

I'd say so. The car probably isn't worth $2500! If you submitted that to your insurance company they'd total the car. The car is 21 years old. Was there existing damage? In my opinion, even to replace the whole door and paint the door, it MIGHT cost $1000. As Fordnut said get three copies of legitimate estimates from legitimate body shops. If she balks, I'd let her take me to court. Let a judge total the car. I had a similar situation happen to me many years ago. I backed into an older model pick up truck. The guy presented me, with what I felt, was a fair estimate to fix his 10+ year old truck. When I presented him with a bank draft made out directly to the body shop, he was not happy! So I simply said to him "Well you ARE planning to fix your truck, right?". HTH. -Jim

10

Thank you . I appreciate the answers , I told her to get the car looked at by other shops and she agreed . Should I get the insurance company involved or should I give her time to get other estimates ?

70,255

I'd give her time to get the other estimates. Sounds like she's being cooperative so far. No point in having your insurance go up if you don't have to. HTH. -Jim