98 Cadillac ElDorado ETC ignition switch

10

Asked by Oct 01, 2015 at 02:30 PM about the 1998 Cadillac Eldorado

I have been having parasitic battery drain problems. I believe that I have traced the problems back to the ignition switch. I would like to know what contacts are made in each key position for further troubleshooting. I also need to know what wire colors go to which contacts. I tried to buy a new switch but they no longer make them. I haven't been able to find even an aftermarket switch. I guess I'll roll the dice and go to a salvage yard. Any advice or wiring diagrams will be appreciated.

24,045

so...did you put a meter on it??? did you pull the fuses????? what is the draw... below 1 volt is ok...

920

They are still available from some online sources. Look for either the ACDELCO D1441F {#89058117}, or STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS US266 {#26045043} part. I can still easily locate both online for $52-228 USD from various sources.

Best Answer
10

Thanks Giulio. I have searched for the D1441F online and while it shows available, every time I add to the cart for purchase it gets flagged as unavailable. If you find a source that has one available please post it. Kelly, the battery draw is a dead battery overnight so obviously it is well over 1 volt @ a high mA. FYI with a computer controlled car (PCM/ECM) you will read over 1 volt @mA's. And yes I have pulled fuses and measured with a DMM.

920

Hi. I can find them in stock, but I'm seeing a few different part numbers for this part, so you'll need to verify the correct part for your trim. At http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx? ukey_assembly=387113, the ignition switch is number 84, GM p/n D1441F for all models and years. Jegs shows its p/n D1485D http://www.jegs.com/i/ACDelco/065/D1485D/10002/-1 for all models. eBay item number:221758397111 shows its Cadillac GM OEM 96-99 DeVille-Ignition Switch 1990175. eBay item number:400788845357 shows its ACDelco GM Original Equipment D1491C. http://www.gmpartscenter.net/cadillac/eldorado/26045043/1998- year/etc-trim/4-6l-v8-gas-engine/electrical-cat/ignition-lock-scat/? part_name=ignition-switch shows its OEM p/n 26045043. The ck checkout http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/? N=0&Nr=AND%28make%3ACadillac%2Cmodel%3AEldorado%2C universal%3A0%29&Ntk=Main&Nu=part&PN=0+2323&VN=42949 65924+4294965923&refType=Part&refValue=Ignition+Switch also checkout http://www.gmoutletparts.com/oe-gm/26045043. It's all just a matter of getting the exact OEM p/n from GM and then using google to find it from various sources online. It may take you a few hours, but you'll eventually find the right part, in stock somewhere, and you'll fix your vehicle properly. No idea why so many different p/n's from GM, but I'm guessing some are old numbers and others are the new p/n once they've started phasing-out their defective p/n's from stock. Start with CALLING your dealership parts dept and asking specifically if they have/can order a new ignition switch for you and ask them for that p/n (sound/act stupid to them and write it down). The use google.com and begin your shopping. I had to do the same for my old 98 Honda Accord DX with the same problem that I was able to identify before they announced this defect. No one could figure it out except me, and I'm a computer tech with electronics engineering technologist training. Good luck.

10

Thanks Giulio for your help. Part number D1485D is the correct part number (matches the VIN). I have been in touch with GM dealerships as well as AC Delco and you have been more help than the two combined.Thanks again.

920

You're welcome. It's so sad you have to do the work yourself and be a detective these days to fix your own vehicle problems. GM kept giving me the same wrong exhaust stud for my '85 Pontiac Grand Prix LE w/305 V8. I had to reap them out several times and tell them to give me the same bolt from a '72 Pontiac LeMans w/350L to get the right part. Sad. Honda kept trying to give me the same defective series ignition switch until I told them that p/n was superseeded by a new one. Talk about keeping themselves in business. Take care.