Small Leak

Asked by Jul 20, 2010 at 01:00 AM about the 1998 Cadillac Catera

I bought my catera last year for $5,000. I have only had it a year and I have replaced the radiator, hoses, valves, because it was leaking coolant. The dealership mechanic tells me now that I have a small leak and I need my head gasket replaced. He gave me a price of $2,500. That is half what I payed for the car. I am having someone else take a look at it. They sold me a lemon and knew they did. Can I purchase some stop leak or something just so I can sell the darn thing?

160

If the head gaskets are truly leaking then you have to have the heads removed surfaced and new gaskets installed. Catera's also have a problem with a valve at the rear of the engine against the firewall, that when it goes bad you have coolant and oil mixing. In that case you have to replace all of the coolant components; which includes hoses and the reservoir. After this has been replaced it should not need to be done again. If you can find a dealer that you are friendly with they should be able to look up by VIN if this car has had it done. I am not sure if this was a recall item or not, but it is well known.