Hi I have a 2002 toyota altezza and have a problem why does my car when trying to accelerate surge or lose acceleration. I have put new spark plugs in and also a new fuel filter. What else could it b

Asked by May 15, 2015 at 09:12 AM about the 2002 Toyota Altezza

2002 toyota altezza surging problem

Is your check engine light on? If not, I would buy a can of MAF cleaner by CRC and give it a good spray down. Then buy some throttle body cleaner and remove throttle body and tear it down and thoroughly clean it as well as your Idle Air Control valve. You can get on youtube and check out some videos if you've never done it. This will only cost you about $20 in cleaners. You will just have to take the time and try it. This is the most inexpensive first step to take. If you do have the CEL on, get the codes scanned. You may have a bad MAP sensor or crank sensor which is causing the surge.

Hi yes the engine light does come on but not straight away after about 10mins of driving it when it surges so I then turn car off then back on and engine light goes off so I put it into tiptronic and drive in that and the engine light does not come back on for about 30mins. I will do the things you said to do see how that goes. Thanks.