1999 catera misfire

140

Asked by Apr 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM about the 1999 Cadillac Catera

Hi I have a 1999 Catera and love it. I am having problems that are confusing me. The engine light is on and is riding rough in idol and on initial acceleration. I had a complete tune up and had the 1-3-5 panel changed so far. When we hook up the computer it tells us in idol the 1-3-5 cylinders are misfiring. But when you give her some gas the problem is gone.
I have taken her to a few mechanics and each has his own thoughts. I am not ready for these guys to start changing more stuff on my baby that is necessary. So far I got the timing belt and the Fuel Injector system as probable causes. Can someone please give me an idea of what it may be?

Thank you

Peter

845

Its a Cadi, so I hope you're running premium through it. Try a complete fuel system clean, this will help eliminating the injectors if they are just dirty.

485

How many coils do you have?? It sounds like it could be a crack in one of the coils & it's arcing. With it running, try spraying some fabric softener like "Fabreeze" onto the coils, I know that sounds weird, but that will cause a visible arc/spark jump if there is a crack in one of the coils. My mechanic friend showed me that trick!

Probably timing belt jumped a tooth or 2, I work on alot of them , check for vacuum leaks , with car running spray brake clean on engine, if idle changes , repair vacuum leak, of course check for oil in spark plug tube under coil assembly