WHY DOES MY CADILLAC CATERA 1999 SHUT OFF WHEN DRIVING

20

Asked by Feb 24, 2010 at 03:43 PM about the 1999 Cadillac Catera

I DONT KNOW WHY MY CAR SHUTS OFF WHEN DRIVING????? PEOPLE SAY THAT IT COULD BE MY FUEL PUMP OR CRANKSHAFT SENSOR...SEE WHEN I STARTMY CAR AND IT HITS A CERTAIN OIL TEMP. IT JUST SHUTS OFF WITH OUT WARNING ME...IF SOMEONE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND FIXED IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANX..

40

Re: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement - Cranks Won't Start Hello Sirmqc: I had the same problem with my Catera stopping on me after driving a couple of miles when it got hot. Know what I discovered? I first put a new fuel filter on it and thought that would solve the problem. WRONG! It started, but I looked at my exhaust and WATER was coming out like a faucet! I thought moisture was in the fuel and it shut off again in idle after 10 minutes of running. I took off the top gray manifold cover to install a [B]new fuel pressure regulator, which is located behind the manifold cover. I was a chore, but I also discovered that the fuel pressure regulator had a vacuum tube attached to it, which was broken off. A secret-just sit the manifold back on the mount without putting the screws back in it, start the car and notice how much pressure the air intake provides-you cannot lift the manifold cover up! With that, I knew a lot of cold air was getting into the system through this vacuum hose attached to the FPR causing condensation in the fuel. I went to Auto Zone and got a rubber vacuum line and attached it to the new FPR (fuel pressure regulator) . Then in the front of the gray manifold cover underneath was a something that looked like it should be attached to the front of the vacuum line and attached the line to it. Also near the 4 vaccum line tree on the manifold cover, there was an open vacuum line. I went back to Auto Zone, bought a kit which includes the white plastic vacuum supports and some end covers. I put one of the plastic vacuum pieces into the open vacuum line and capped it off. VOILA! The car started and did not shut off after 15 minutes of idle. With that I took it around the block a couple of times and then took it out to the expressway and ran it up to 110 m.p.h.! It was great! For those of you that have experienced this, DO NOT consider a new fuel pump until you try a les expensive alternative FIRST! I'm a happy camper knowing I did not have to come out of my pocket over $75.00. I did purchase the crankcase position sensor, but I will put it on later. That way I'll have the new parts on! Thank you for your suggetion-it taught me plenty!

Just has this same problem with my sons car. After the shop had replaced the EPC Comp I still had the problem. The garage talked to a Catera expert and he suggested replacing the crank sensor. After the crank sensor was repaced it worked fine.