Fuelpump fuse keeps burning

Gerry Yorks

Asked by Sep 09, 2016 at 06:53 PM about the 2000 Toyota Carina

While driving, the car just died on me. Tought i ran out of fuel, but no. Fuse
keeps on blowing. If i put a new one, the car will start, but shut of again. (thus
,blown again). Please help..........

Kelly Mayo

first thing to do is check under where the pump is ..wires touching,bare,short...before you change the pump that might be drawing to much of a load...

Gerry Yorks

Thanks i'll check it out. One question though...can i (just to bring the car home) pull the plug from the pump and pull a wire straight from the battery to connect it just to get it home, or is that dangerous?

If you do go that route, put an inline fuse of the same rating as your current fuse in your new circuit to protect against fire. make sure wiring is not going to get caught up in any moving parts, and is away from hot parts (exhaust etc.). Make sure you disconnect wire as soon as you are going to stop car so the fuel pump doesn't keep running. Remember if your new fuse blows you may have a pump issue. Hope this helps.