Dead Battery (every day)

Asked by Oct 25, 2007 at 08:05 PM about the 2002 Ford Mustang

02 mustang, replaced the alternator everything fine but 2 months later battery died, replaced it no problems until morning, then each morning (2 weeks now) I have had to jump it. Autozone checked battery and said it was good. Any suggestions?

one autozone dont check battery under load 2 could have dead short charge battery concct pos.now with every thing turned off both doors closed,tuch neg.to neg.post and see if you see spark tutch 2or3 times if spark a dead short until found leave battery un hooked at night and while at work neg side ok.now if no spark get another alternator rember autozone or advance auto dont check under a load.

14,565

I would also try to find a parasitic draw (ie dome light left on, door left ajar, etc) that could be draining your battery.

395

I had same problem. Went to auto zone bought new battery because they wouldn't honor my 7 yr warrenty and it was only a yr on a gel cell.anyways new battery, dead few weeks later. Is your alarm draining it or going off to easy.if you have aaa call them.or have a battey place come out and they have a machine that hooks up under your dash and it will tell you if your alt. Is bad or where the problem is. That's what helped me.I thought it was my alt. But he said everything is fine.he didn't know what was draining mine.could be bad battery.they gave me a bad one.take it back and make sure its big enough for your car

4,825

Sounds like the battery isn't charging adequately,how are the battery terminals? Have they been replaced? Are they corroded? Might be time to change the terminals.....if they are fine......check for voltage drop between the alternator and battery. With car running, check voltage at the alternator, then check voltage at the battery. Have someone open and close power windows and check again. If you are seeing a 1 volt or more difference at all times you may have a faulty connection or cable..........I have had a few cars that had defective battery cables, which led to the battery not adequately charging..........

4,825

http://www.ehow.com/how_5927667_battery-cables-bad.html

1,555

Here's my suggestion, 1 check to make sure the terminals are tight, it happens they get loose for what ever reason, 2 are the terminals clean, best way to make sure is to take a terminal brush to them or baking soda and water, if those don't fix it probly time for new cables but start there.