why would my transmission need a lot of revving before moving but work fine after that?

Asked by Apr 19, 2015 at 04:33 AM about the 1974 Pontiac Ventura

Clutches bad in 1st gear overhaul trans it will work

Thank you sur

Sir*

36,765

If it's an automatic transmission, it may be just low on fluid. In case you don't already know, you have to check the tranny fluid preferably hot and the engine has to be running. If you've been checking the fluid with the engine off, it will appear to be full.

It's been awhile since I parked it but I believe I did that and as long as I drive it everyday it didn't do it but the longer it sat the worse it got

89,035

That sounds like the internal pressure seals are leaking while they are still cold and stiff but once the fluid warms them up they soften enough to start working. Try this: drop the transmission pan and look in the bottom, check for any metal flakes or other pieces of the internal parts, (if you find any then it is on it's way out) change the screen, clean the pan and magnet really good, put in 1 can of TransX, then fill to specs, and drive it around carefully for about 15 minutes, in town driving would be best for this, then shut it down and let it sit overnight then try it, if it works great, but don't disappointed if it don't, this is just trying to cure a symptom for a while, the underlying problem is still there and will have to be dealt with sooner or later. HTH

Thank you ill give it a shot

seems like clutch gone bad