I have a 1949 Ford F1, frame off restoration one year ago.

Asked by Dec 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM about the 1949 Ford F-100

The truck looks wonderful (show condition) though the original Flathead 239 cy
V8 starts well, runs for an hour, then stalls and hard to restart.  Can't find a
competent mechanic in N. FL. So frustrated I am considering new, up to date
engine though as a purist, hate to change my original equipment.  Would new
engine harm value of the stock truck?

102,295

I had the same problem with a flathead 6cylinder found out it was the ignition coil, after replacement no more trouble. HTH

79,895

Are you getting fuel delivery? I would consider installing one of those hidden electronic ignition setups like Pertronix. Your truck is much more valuable with the original engine. There is no reason why you can't get the original flathead running great.

79,895

How about posting a photo of the truck?

71,015

It ran fine in '49 so there's no reason it can't today. I'm thinking either ignition coil or vapor lock. When it quits check for spark first. Spray some starting fluid down the carburetor. If it runs a few seconds on the starting fluid it's a fuel problem. If not, it's an ignition (no spark) problem. HTH. -Jim