93 Corona - Hazard and Indicator Relay

5

Asked by Jan 20, 2013 at 06:48 PM about the 1993 Toyota Corona

I changed stereos in my car yesterday.The weird t hing was that the old power wires for the stereo provided no
power (tested with multi-meter) and so i used the power wires for the Hazard Lights which sit just up from the
stereo anyway. Before putting it all together everything tested good. Put it back together and the stereo, hazard
lights and indicators stopped working. I've checked all the fuses and there still good though had to replace the
one under the bonnet and it hasn't blown again. Now when i go to put the hazard lights on there is a slight
sound which sounds like a relay trying to work behind the dash but still nothing.

At this point all the wiring looks good and secure and easily traced but still those 3 things refuse to work.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jonnie

85

Probably the circuit... Because you added a stereo in it's changed - if I had to hazard a guess taking out the radio fixes the problem. I would recommend salvaging power from one of the cig lighter ports instead (unless you use them... then look up wiring diagrams and wire from the harness like you should have with the radio in the first place)

350

quick fix dissconect the wire from the switch and run a hot wire from you fuse box or your battery the radio is drawing to much power for the relay it is getting hot

98,125

When you tested the "old" power wires, was the key on?

5

Update 1. I've rewired the stereo and now that's working fine - everything else is to except the hazards and indicators. What are the chances the relay has died? Tenspeed - I tested the old wires with key on and off as i was looking for constant and non constant.