ECM Passkey 3 Relearn Issue

Asked by Oct 15, 2015 at 10:54 PM about the 2006 Cadillac CTS

Hello,
I'm wondering if someone can assist me in pointing out if I'm doing something wrong or if there is another issue at hand before I move to other measures. I recently bought an ECM for my 2006 Cadillac CTS (3.6 L) and attempted to install it today. It came programmed. The installation went smoothly. However, when I started the Passkey 3 relearn procedure the only light that illuminated was the engine light. I was under the impression that the security light was supposed to be on. Am I doing something wrong? When I turn the key obviously it acts as though it wants to start but goes dead. I know that's due to the key relearn that's needed.

(I should also state that my key was already inside of the ignition due to it being stuck from my old ECM issue. It's STILL stuck.. I also broke off the plastic screw that removes the cover that was supposed to release the key so I can't release the key.. )

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

67,295

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has nothing to do with the security system. With the PASSKEY System you need one working key to program others (up to 10 total) to the vehicle. Here's the correct programing procedure. Using the working key, start the vehicle. Shut off the engine and remove the key. Immediately insert the key to be programmed and turn the ignition to the run position but do NOT try to start the vehicle. Watch the security light on the instrument cluster. Within a few seconds, less than 30, the security light will go out. Turn the ignition back to the lock position but do NOT remove the key. Immediately start the vehicle with the newly programmed key. If your Cadillac is equipped with the PASSKEY System this is the correct and only way to program keys to the vehicle without taking it to your local Cadillac Dealer for them to do it. The security system is controlled by the anti-theft module. Not the PCM or as you referred to the ECM. HTH. -Jim

Ok, I'm having the same problem. I am unable to REMOVE the key. Did your problem ever get resolved?

I also broke the screw to release the key under the steering wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.